Good Grief. I don’t actually know what I would look like if I didn’t have children but I have a hunch I might look, ooh maybe a decade younger. Sleep deprivation is the main culprit. Even now, with a six year old and a 2 year old on my books I am still looking and feeling extremely jaded of a morning. My 2 year old moved out of her cot this summer and it hasn’t been a seamless transition. It’s too dark Mummy! I need a cuddle Mummy! Muuuummmmeeeeeeeee are regular caterwauls through the night. It’s taking me back to those zombie, fudge head days of breastfeeding! Thank god for make-up. In my job I get to try out a lot of different products and these are the ones I swear by to make me look less exhumed. If only I always had the time to apply them…
Don’t look if you’ve just had breakfast…
If I have fifteen minutes to get ready…
1) Sarah Chapman Facialift Tool £25 Brilliant for bringing the blood back to your face, lymphatic drainage and softening forehead lines. Five minutes should do it. Warning can feel tender on the temples but in that good pain way. sarahchapman.net
2) Bobbi Brown Repair Moisturising Balm £62. Expensive but a seriously good. I pat it into my face to prep and plump my skin (I have seriously dry skin). My favourite cheaper alternative is Weleda Skin Food £8.95 which smells of Gin and Tonic. Mmmmm. weleda.co.uk
3)Origins make a difference Plus Rejuvenating Moisturiser £33 Love the smell and leaves skin dewy. I apply this over the Bobbi Brown Balm origins.co.uk
4)Indeed Eysilix Instant Eye Rescue £24.99 I’ve just been given this to try and it does tighten and brighten. Think this should actually be used before moisturiser for best effect boots.com
5)Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturiser SPF 20 in nude £33. I love this. It doesn’t hug wrinkles and it isn’t too sheer. Makes my skin look even and very natural. houseoffraser.co.uk
6)Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer £6.99 A brilliant concealer. I use it on shadows and to even out my eyelids. Not too reflective so you don’t get ski goggle eyes and doesn’t enhance wrinkles. boots.com
7)Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer £18 This is a hardcore concealer that hides the darkest circles
8)Daniel Sandler Mineral Finishing Powder £22.50 The most natural looking bronzer I have found. Great for contouring and brushing under the jaw for definition. danielsandler.com
9) Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick Compact in Nectar £32 A lovely warm peachy pink that makes you look alive. I have to say that my all time favourite blush for looking pinch cheek awake is Daniel Sandler’s Watercolour creme rouge £15.50 in hot pink but I have just lost mine! danielsandler.com
10) Bobbi Brown Face Highlighter pen in Rose £25 This is brilliant for giving your cheeks a gorgeous gleam. Use as a wash over eyelids for a pretty pink look and use to highlight your cupids bow
11)Clarins Eye Quartet Mineral Palette in Odyssey £30 I love this palette. The browns are very on trend and conveniently very flattering and you can glam up your look with a touch of the very intense bronze in the evening. Cheaper here! escentual.com
12)NYX The Curve eyeliner pen £12.50 The angled applicator makes this eyeliner much easier to use. A winged eye is a great way to look a bit perkier. nyxcosmeticsstore.co.uk
13) Lancome Oscillating Mascara £31. I would pretty much use any Lancome Mascara. They are all brilliant. Whenever I try out a new brand I always go back to Lancome. If I had to go cheaper I would say Topshop.
14)This exact lipstick has been discontinued but Rimmel’s Kate Moss Matte 101, £5.49 is a very good match. Great for pepping up your look with a shot of colour and distracting from your eyes.
14) Maybelline Super Stay 10 hour Tint Gloss in Forever Coral £6.99 This is a great subtle sweep of colour and it never catches on dry lips. In fact, it seems to smooth out dry lips. Excellent.
YIKES! This is a lot of product!
If I only have 2 minutes…
Moisturiser – removes crunchy surface
Concealer – under eyes and over eyelids, on sun damage and maybe round nose.
Blusher – need colour
Mascara – essential
Here I am full slap. OK, I realise the lighting is soft, the shot is soft and there appears to be Vaseline smeared on my phone lens. I may have wrapped the phone in a pair of tights too. Will try again in more honest light another day (maybe).